Tuesday, March 4, 2014

"Working For A Cause, Not For The Applause"

"Working For A Cause, Not For The Applause"
JC & Joe Boyd
By: Alicia Smith from Earn Purple

There are two people that come to my mind when I think about selflessness, perseverance and most of all, inspiration.  When I am feeling down about my heifer’s performance in the ring or where I was placed in a class, all it takes is for me to watch one of these two brothers.  Whether it is outside the ring, where they are spreading their positive attitudes with fellow competitors, or watching them show their sheep; I am in awe.  I can only aspire to set as excellent of an example and be as much of an inspiration as these two young men are.
Joe and JC Boyd dedicate themselves to their sheep projects with enthusiasm and an abundance of passion.  They are avid 4-Her’s, attend multiple jackpot, state and national shows throughout the year and still find time to help others.   
JC has been showing lambs for six years now, and unfortunately his career as a junior exhibitor at Pima County Fair is coming to a close this April; however, JC will continue on in the show industry, as he is studying Animal Science at New Mexico State University and wants to work in the livestock nutrition industry.  He also wants to continue to produce show animals for youth to show to their best ability.  JC says, about his show career, “It has been rather short, as it began only six years ago due to my balance difficulties from my Cerebral Palsy; I was not strong enough until then to show animals.”  Sadly, his first lamb got sick and was not able to make it into fair, but he was hooked.
Yes, JC does have a condition that is crippling to some, but he does not allow it to change anything for him.  “When I was diagnosed with my disability at just under two years old, my parents were told to be prepared for the worst, meaning that I may never talk, walk, or attend normal school; however, I have done all of that,” he states.  Having this condition does not even remotely hinder JC, he asks for no help, nor wants it, in preparing his lamb for the show or in showing it.  Not once have I ever heard him complain that he lost a class because of his condition.  He simply does not allow it to make him different than any other showman in or out of the ring.  He says that his biggest accomplishments are graduating from high school and winning the Inspiration Award from SAILA (Southern Arizona International Livestock Association).   “I feel that buckle sums up my life.  I just do what I can with what I have and try to help in anyway I can.”
JC says his biggest supporters are his parents, who have pushed him from day one, and his Grandma Jean, who passed away in September of 2013.  One of his favorite things she used to say was, “Can’t means you don’t want to.”  He lives this motto and truly believes there is nothing you can’t do!  JC feels that it is important to support others because without support, success is nearly impossible and he reaps great joy from helping others.  He will continue to live the Earn Purple lifestyle by helping others be the best they can be.  “Remember, Purple is Earned, Never Owed.”
 I can think of several occasions when Joe has selflessly given his time to help a fellow sheep producer, Diane Bales, with anything she might need.  From helping her move to repairing fence and helping care for her goats and sheep, Joe is the man for the job.  He willingly spends his weekends and summer vacations helping Diane and asks for nothing in return.  Joe is a 15 year old attending Sabino High School in Tucson, Arizona where he plays baseball, is active in Sabino High School FFA and is Vice President of Tanque Verde Livestock 4-H Club.  Currently, Joe has his eyes set on playing major league baseball and then, instead of retiring, going back to school to become a veterinarian.
Joe is a fantastic showman and has been so for many years.  With his first 4-H lamb project, he won Grand Champion Junior Novice Showman.  Since then, he has acquired numerous grand and reserve champion titles with his breeding sheep on the SAILA circuit.  Recently, his first, and home-bred, ewe won Supreme Champion Breeding Ewe at the 2013 Arizona State Fair.  He says that, no matter the show, he is always proud to show off his “homework” by getting to display all the hard work he has done at home.  Joe’s inspirations are everyone he meets, even those that are “confused”.  He says, “People that can be called ‘bad examples’ make me just want to give more than 110%.”  His mom is one of his greatest inspirations because, “…She will wake up at three in the morning just to take me to a jackpot show even though the night before she stayed up until midnight helping me get all of my animals ready.  She does it all with a loving face of joy and happiness just because she wants to watch me succeed and truly enjoy life.”
It is important to Joe to continue helping and being supportive of others because he believes life is all about teamwork.  “While my personal success is very rewarding, I enjoy seeing my friends succeed as well.  If I can help them, even in just a small way, it is even better.”  Joe plans to continue to embody the Earn Purple lifestyle by taking any feedback, both positive and negative, he can from friends and family and learning from it.
As you can see, these two young men absolutely encompass the Earn Purple lifestyle with their positive attitudes toward everyone, their willingness and drive to learn as much as they can about their projects, and passion to help others succeed.  Both Joe and JC serve as an excellent example to all those that are around them, and I can say that I truly look forward to seeing their bright faces at every stock show I attend.
 
  

“ Work for a Cause, Not for Applause.  Live Life to Express, Not to Impress.  Don’t Strive to Make your Presence Noticed, just Make your Absence Felt.” - Unknown

 Earn Purple is a movement that is helping to support and endorse youth who are self-reliant, willing to learn, and most of all, willing to give back to others.  Whatever their sport, activity or club, we want to show off these rising stars! Who do you admire, who inspires you, who lives the Earn Purple Lifestyle?  It can be anyone;  parent, coach, friend, or just someone you have noticed.  Who asks the least and gives the most? 

Send in your Nominees to earnpurpleinc@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment